Tuesday, October 11, 2011

One Of Many Sneaky Ways I Make My Kid (and Husband!) Eat Healthy Food.

Since the new baby is the size of an apple currently, I thought I would share with you one of CC's favorite foods! See, girl loves her some pancakes. Like, an insane amount. And, for a long time I was just whipping up the Bisquik (I know its not organic. But, it's delicious!!), flipping those pancakes, and feeding her til she burst. However, in recent weeks, CC has been on sort of a strike when it comes to eating healthy items such as veggies and fruits besides mandarin oranges and grapefruit slices. So I found this apple pancake recipe and got to cooking! I figured that since I have apples coming out of my ears here in NH, and I can't convince CC to eat them on their own (although she does enjoy the kind that come in the little cup in juice), this was a sneaky way to make her eat fresh apples. I make a whole batch and then microwave them for a few days until they are gone.

I have also tricked her into eating zucchini, banana, carrot, and sweet potato using this same recipe. But not all at once, as that would be gross.

It is worth noting that I have tried sneaking these items into the Bisquik, but CC is a Bisquik purist and won't stand for it. Very similar to how she refused to eat infant cereal made with anything except tap water. My little foodie.

An additional fun fact regarding these pancakes is that Bill, whom we all know has an "allergy" to fruit (unless it is baked in a pie, which apparently makes it non-allergenic), came into the kitchen and snacked on a few of these while remarking how delicious they were. You can imagine my glee when I informed him that they were chock full of fruit! He responded by adding extra syrup.

Southern Style Apple Pancakes!
1 Cup flour
1/4 Cup sugar
1 egg
1 Cup milk
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 large apple, peeled and grated


mix and cook on the griddle! make sure you butter that pan, because that makes them even better! obviously.


"Oh my. These pancakes are mighty tasty!"


"What's that you say? Apple? I don't believe it."


"Whatev. These things are so delicious, I might actually eat some before I toss them on the floor for the cats!"

No comments:

Post a Comment